Thursday, September 27, 2007

Halo 3 Initial Thoughts

I just finished the game last night.  It took me two days an an estimated 6 hours.  I must say I am impressed, if not blown away.  The visuals in this game are amazing.  Some complain about the length of the cut scenes, but as a personal preference, I enjoy the feeling that I am playing a movie.  As far as game play, well it is Halo, and Halo has always been pretty good.  After getting over the initial balance configuration and controller scheme changes, Halo 3 fits like an old glove. 

The end of the game is a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy, and not to be accused of spoiling, make sure you watch through the entire credits like you would for Halo 2 and Halo CE. 

There is a sense of relief that this story like is completed and after the story is over it is nice to be able to focus on the multiplayer aspect of the game.  While I haven't had enough time to fully explore the many possibilities of the multiplayer experience, I can say that my initial reaction is positive.  It feels like Halo, but it is obviously more polished.  I have confidence that Bungie didn't let the complaints of Halo 2 and the data from the Beta go to waste. 

While the Halo series is all about the multiplayer, the replay value of that aspect of the game is yet to be seen.  Will it be able to keep the level of interest that Halo 2 achieved years after launch?  Time will tell but it looks like Bungie has put together a good product all around. 

No comments: